Dan Shen, or commonly known as red sage, is an herb native to Vietnam and China. The use of its root is used to make medicine. It is an adaptogen. Adaptogens are a class of natural substances that are believed to stimulate the body's resistance to physical, environmental, and emotional stressors. Red sage stimulates the central nervous system and increases the red and white blood cells counts in the body. It also causes blood vessels to widen, improving circulation.
• Promotes blood flow and helps treat vascular disease
• Improves circulation by causing vasodilation and decreasing clotting
• Limited studies have shown efficacy in coronary artery disease and stroke
• Has shown efficacy in treating various markers of heart health, and is typically seen as a very heart healthy herb
• Has been used in TCM for heart disease (angina pectoris), kidney disease, irregular menstruation and other related problems (amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea), insomnia, irritability, inflammation, and blood stagnation (circulatory problems)