Schisandra, also known as the five flavor fruit, is a fruit-bearing vine. The purple-red berries it produces are described as having five tastes: salty, sweet, bitter, pungent and sour. It is found throughout Asia and Russia and while not typically used as a food, its medicinal properties have been used for generations. It is considered an adaptogen and is believed to stimulate the body's resistance to physical, environmental, and emotional stressors. The chemicals in schisandra improve liver function and might increase energy, which can improve endurance and coordination.
• Schisandra is considered beneficial to qi, the life force or energy inherent in all living things
• Researchers determined that Schisandra is effective at alleviating some symptoms of menopause
• Schisandra may have adaptogenic properties meaning it’s able to help the body resist the effects of anxiety and stress
• Used to treat poor liver function and liver disease
• Helps maintain the balance of energy and inflammation in the body by lowering cortisol levels