Turmeric has been used in India for thousands of years as both a medicinal herb and spice. Turmeric is the spice that gives curcumin its yellow color.
Turmeric may just be the most effective nutritional supplement in existence. There are many high quality studies showing that turmeric has major benefits to your brain and body. Many of these benefits come from its main active ingredient, curcumin.
Turmeric contains compounds which are called curcuminoids and one of the most important ones is called curcumin. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
• The curcumin in turmeric helps supress many molecules known to play major roles in inflammation
• Researchers believe that the reduction in brain inflammation and curcumin’s antioxidant properties led to less decline in neurocognition, which is the ability to think and reason
• Helps reduce pain from osteoarthritis and arthritis
• Has antioxidant properties and one study shows that it may protect your body from free radicals by neutralizing them.
• With its ability to help reduce inflammation and oxidation, turmeric could lower the risk of heart disease
• Turmeric — and especially its most active compound, curcumin — have many scientifically proven health benefits, such as the potential to improve heart health and prevent against Alzheimer’s and cancer